Associate Professor (2013
Assistant Professor (2007
Department of Physics,
HKUST, Hong Kong, & HKUST Shenzhen Research Institute, Shenzhen, China
of Pennsylvania, USA
2003 University of
1998 Peking University
(Beijing University), China
Experimental soft condensed matter physics
investigate the microscopic structures, interactions, dynamics, pattern
formation and phase behaviors of colloids such as micro-ellipsoids and
diameter-tunable microgel spheres. Colloids are good model systems of
atoms because trajectories of individual particles are measurable by
video microscopy and image processing. Currently we are focusing on the
melting, freezing, solid-solid transitions, glass transitions and geometrical frustrations of colloids in two
dimensions, three dimensions and thin films.
We apply the
complex-network analysis to phase-space studies and discovered
that the phase spaces of frustration spin models, lattice gases and spin
glasses share some common features. They established a new
class of network with unique topology.
A math by-product is
a one-to-one mapping
between 2D jigsaw-puzzle tiling and 3D stack of spheres.
We are also interested in configurational temperatures and Brownian
- Huijun Zhang and Yilong Han, Compression-induced polycrystal-glass transition in binary crystals, Phys. Rev. X, 8, 041023 (2018)
- Modes of surface premelting in attractive colloidal crystals, Bo Li, Feng Wang, Di Zhou, Yi Peng, Ran Ni, and Yilong Han*, Nature, 531, 485 (2016).
- Two-step nucleation mechanisms in solid-solid phase transitions, Yi Peng, Feng Wang, Ziren Wang, Ahemd Alsayed, Zexin Zhang, Arjun Yodh and Yilong Han*, Nature Materials, 14, 101–108 (2015) (cover article)
- Imaging the
homogenous nucleation during the melting of superheated colloidal crystals, Ziren Wang, Feng Wang, Yi Peng, Zhongyu Zheng, and Yilong Han*, Science 338, 87 (2012) pdf
- Glass transitions in quasi-two-dimensional suspensions of colloidal ellipsoids, Zhongyu Zheng, Feng Wang and Yilong Han*, Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 065702 (2011) (highlighted by Editor's Suggestion
- Phase-Space Networks of the Six-Vertex Model under Different Boundary Conditions, Yilong Han*, Phys. Rev. E 81, 041118 (2010)
- Phase-Space Networks of Geometrically Frustrated Systems Yilong Han, Phys. Rev. E 80, 051102 (2009)
- Geometric frustration in buckled colloidal monolayers Yilong Han*, Yair Shokef*, Ahmed Alsayed, Peter Yunker, Tom C. Lubensky, and Arjun Yodh, Nature, 456, 898-903 (2008).
- Brownian Motion of an Ellipsoid Yilong Han, Ahmed Alsayed, Maurizio Nobili, Jian Zhang, Tom C. Lubensky*, and Arjun G. Yodh, Science 314, 626-630 (2006)
Supporting Online Materials.
- Configurational temperatures and interactions in charge-stabilized colloid, Y. Han and D. G. Grier J. Chem. Phys. 122, 064907, 1-14 (2005)
- Vortex rings in a constant electric field, Y. Han and D. G. Grier Nature 424, 267-268 (2003); erratum Nature 424, 510 (2003)